Prostatitis is always associated with many unpleasant sensations for men: problems with urination, unstable erection, etc. The quality of life with inflammation of the prostate deteriorates seriously. When the emerging problems still make a person visit a urologist, the question of the patient's sex life is not always considered. In fact, sex with prostatitis is often associated with various types of erectile dysfunction, so many patients do not attempt intercourse at all. But in some cases, the problems are not so pronounced, the patient remains sexually active, so the joys of sexual life are not alien to him. Is it possible to have sex if the gland is inflamed or such pleasures are still prohibited?
The prostate and its role in a man's life
First, it is worth understanding the importance of the prostate in the life of every man. The prostate gland is the most important organ in the body. If it is damaged, male infertility and even oncology can develop. Therefore, it is important to maintain health in general and the organ in particular, which will allow a man to maintain energy and sex life into old age. This chestnut-shaped organ is located in the front of the rectum below the bladder and surrounds the urethra.
The prostate consists of glandular tissues that produce prostatic juice and muscular structures that force this secretion to move through the glandular ducts, which eliminates the possibility of congestion and therefore prevents the development of inflammatory processes in the prostate gland. The body performs three important functions:
- Motor.Between the lobules of the prostate there are muscular structures, due to the contraction of which retention of urine occurs during an active erection and release of sperm. If the functioning of the prostate is disturbed, then problems of an erectile and urinary nature appear. It is on this basis that doctors often determine that the motor activity of the prostate is impaired.
- Secretarial.It consists of the production of a special secretion containing a mass of bioactive enzyme substances such as cholesterol and proteolites, biogenic amines and phospholipids, citrate citrate and zinc. This secretion creates a favorable environment for sperm when they are released with the sperm during ejaculation. Full secretion production is controlled by testosterone, which is produced in the testicles and adrenal glands.
- Barrier.Prostatic juice contains many enzymatic substances and polyans, which prevent the penetration of infectious agents into the urinary tract.
Simply put, the prostate is responsible for potency and other functions that ensure the exchange of sex hormonal substances, which has a positive effect on sex life and the health of the genitourinary system. The functioning of the entire male reproductive system depends on the activity of the gland. According to the scientific classification, the functions of the prostate are divided into three main areas, but in reality they are much more. Therefore, even a slight deviation in the functioning of the gland can lead to quite serious consequences.
What are the dangers of prostate pathologies?
Many men do not take prostate pathologies seriously enough. Meanwhile, inflammatory lesions of the prostate cannot be ignored, as they are the cause of the development of dangerous pathologies of the genitourinary system. Statistics say that after 45 years, in the absence of preventive measures, every second man shows signs of inflammatory processes in the tissues of the prostate. In addition, in 50% of these patients, the diagnosis reveals chronic and advanced prostatitis.
The need to treat prostatitis is due to the high risk of complications. First, there is a noticeable decrease in erectile function and sexual desire and lack of erection. Almost all pathologies of the prostate and genitourinary system are accompanied by similar symptoms. If a man avoids sexual intercourse, then the development of inflammation of the prostate can be suspected, especially in the absence of a morning erection and frequent urination at night.
Second, untreated prostatitis can be complicated by the chronicity of the inflammatory process and its spread to other pelvic structures such as the urethra, seminal vesicles or testicles. In addition, the lack of therapy for prostatitis can lead to sepsis and abscess of the prostate tissue, sclerotic processes in the prostate. Also, neglecting treatment is dangerous for the development of erectile dysfunction, infertility and even malignant tumor lesions in the gland.
Men in love should be especially careful, because the presence of an inflammatory process indicates the presence of pathogenic microorganisms that caused it. Frequent change of sexual partners threatens the development of sexually transmitted infections, which subsequently provoke inflammation of the prostate. And numerous pathogenic microorganisms such as chlamydia and mycoplasmosis, streptococci or staphylococci, trichomonads or gardnerella will be much more difficult to destroy. Therefore, especially promiscuous men should use barrier methods of contraception to prevent prostate pathologies and sexually transmitted diseases.
Partner prostatitis is also dangerous for women, because after intercourse the inflammatory process can spread to the mucous membrane of the woman's urethra, and then to the bladder, as a result of which cystitis develops after intercourse. Therefore, the pathology cannot be ignored.
Prostatitis and sex
Most patients doubt whether it is possible to have sex with prostatitis. The question is ambiguous.
Experts say that with prostatitis, some abstinence from sexual pleasures is necessary, but at the same time, regular intercourse is important. These recommendations are mutually exclusive, but they have their place.
As you know, massage of the glands is an excellent prevention of prostate congestion. And the best massage is sexual intercourse, during which ejaculation occurs, accompanied by contractions of the glandular and pelvic muscles. As a result, the accumulated secretion is released from the gland together with the ejaculate and the blood flow in the pelvis increases, which contributes to the accelerated removal of decay products. Therefore, sexual intimacy helps to normalize the activity of the prostate.
If we look at the problem from the perspective of the dynamics of the pathological process, it becomes clear that sexual abstinence, indicated by a specialist, will most likely, on the contrary, provoke a worsening of the patient's pathological condition. It turns out sex is good for you. Practice shows that it is impossible to solve the problem of stagnant phenomena of the prostate only with the help of drugs, even super-effective ones. A course of deep prostate massage sessions is required, i. e. actually sex cures prostatitis. Men should remember that the lack of demand for the glandular organ, that is, long-term sexual abstinence, will inevitably lead to stagnation, which only worsens the inflammatory state of the prostate.
Therefore, prostatitis and sex are completely compatible conditions, but the stage of the pathological process and the degree of its severity are important, because in some forms of prostatitis sex can be harmful and therefore contraindicated. In addition, sometimes the disease is so serious that the man is physically unable to perform the marital duties. Therefore, a consultation with a urologist is necessary in each individual case.
How does prostatitis affect sex life?
Inflammatory lesions of the prostate occur in 30-40% of 25-45-year-old men, and more and more young patients with such pathology are found. Some experts suggest that the development of prostatitis is promoted by insufficiently regular sexual life of patients, which is true to some extent. With regular sexual contacts, the functionality of the man's reproductive structures has a beneficial effect and the hormonal status is restored. But excessive activity or insufficient sexual contacts can provoke the development of inflammatory damage to the tissues of the prostate. Against the background of infrequent sexual contacts, congestion in the prostate and pelvic structures in general becomes possible.
- Stagnation of prostatic secretion and blood flow contributes to the development of infectious pathologies and the chronification of the acute prostatic process.
- But excessive sexual activity can also lead to the development of inflammation of the prostate, especially if the man changes partners too often.
- Such sexual activity is associated with a high risk of transmission of infections that can trigger the development of prostatitis.
It affects the likelihood of developing prostatitis and the quality of sexual intimacy. During sexual arousal, blood flow in the pelvis increases, blood flows to the genitals and prostate. When orgasm occurs, contractions of the gland begin, with the help of which it is freed from excess blood in the vascular channels. Therefore, full sexual intercourse is a kind of preventive method against the development of inflammatory lesions in the gland. This proves that it is possible to have sex while treating prostatitis. The only thing that matters is how. Interrupted or too long sexual contact, on the contrary, increases the likelihood of prostate inflammation.
Unfortunately, prostate pathologies are accompanied by serious sexual disorders. To understand how prostatitis affects sex life, it is enough to consider the possible complications of the pathology, among which erectile dysfunction, that is, impotence, is quite common. Half of prostate patients experience erectile dysfunction and weakened erections of varying severity. And 25% of patients have problems in the form of low libido and sexual desire. Such changes negatively affect the quality of sexual and personal life of patients. As a result of erectile problems, almost all men note a decrease in the frequency of intercourse due to prostatitis. As a result, relationships with sexual partners deteriorate and even end.
Against the background of emerging sexual problems, psychological problems also develop; according to statistics, 75% of patients with prostatitis have a symptom such as psychological stress. This condition occurs under the influence of several factors such as chronic pain during urination, erection and ejaculation, which leads to a subconscious restriction of sexual intercourse.
Treatment of prostatitis with sex
So, it was said above that sexual activity with prostatitis is only encouraged, but you should not abuse such recommendations, otherwise the treatment can be harmful. Here, as with taking medication, the dosage and treatment regimen are important. Therefore, the treatment of prostatitis with sex requires compliance with certain rules.
- To begin with, it is worth learning that sexual intimacy should be regular. Regularity here does not mean a lot of sex. Intimacy should be done in conditions of moderate intensity, so as not to provoke additional disorders and not to cause even more harm to the already damaged inflamed prostate. The duration of such treatment does not matter, the main thing is that each contact ends with a mandatory ejaculation. In the presence of chronic inflammation, patients are often worried about painful sensations, in such a situation it is necessary to refrain from sexual pleasures for some time. If the patient is reluctant to have sex even in the presence of pain, then the use of barrier contraception is recommended. This is necessary to avoid the transmission of pathogenic microflora to a sexual partner.
- So, patients are allowed to have sex, but a mandatory requirement for sex life with prostatitis is monogamy - there must be one partner for sexual intercourse. This requirement is due to the individual microflora of each person, therefore, when changing sexual partners, unwanted contact with different microbes occurs. Although they are not pathogenic in nature, they can still provoke complications of the inflammatory process, since it is difficult for the affected gland to fight foreign microorganisms.
- If the couple has anal sex, then it is necessary to use a condom, because the partner's rectum also has its own microflora, which, when it penetrates through the urethra into the prostate tissue, can cause various complications.
Prostatitis cannot be removed with medication alone, stimulation and massage of the prostate tissue is needed, which can be achieved through regular intercourse.
Prevention of prostatitis
Sex is a very effective tool not only for the treatment of stagnation and inflammation of the prostate, but also for the prevention of such conditions. What are the preventive benefits of intercourse? During sexual contact, a powerful anesthetic substance is released in the male body, which helps to cope with unpleasant and painful sensations. If unbearable pain interferes with a normal and fulfilling sexual life, then about half an hour before intimacy, you can take a pain reliever to make love without hindrance.
If the patient has prostatitis of bacterial origin, then prostate massage is contraindicated. In this situation, regular sex will help you deal with prostate congestion and stimulate the secretion of prostatic juice.
If a man regularly has sexual contact with one partner, then he will not encounter such a pathological condition as prostatitis, provided that there is no other impact on the prostate gland or nearby pelvic structures. According to statistics, the probability of prostate development with regular sexual activity is significantly reduced. If a man has already been diagnosed with acute inflammation of the prostate, then by practicing regular sexual intercourse, he will prevent the acute form of the pathology from turning into a chronic one.
When diagnosing prostatitis, a man must strictly monitor his lifestyle and sexual partners. Treatment must be prescribed by a specialist. In sex life, it is better to focus on one woman, then regular sex will speed up recovery, prevent the development of prostate complications and relieve the patient from congestion in the glandular tissues.